birding-aus

Ingliston Gorge Victoria

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Ingliston Gorge Victoria
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:00:45 +1000
Ingliston : part of Werribee Gorge

21 Wagtails set off towards Bacchus Marsh.  Dennis O?Connor had produced an
excellent strip map so we all arrived at the Car Park without problems.  We
went via Bacchus Marsh taking the Bacchus Marsh ? Ballan Rd to MacCormack Rd
right into Dog Trap Gully Road.

Naturally as we all tramped into the Iron Box the birds scattered. At last
we heard the call of the Kookaburra and a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo screamed
overhead.  Could this be the first bird outing where the number of watchers
exceeded the number of birds seen.

Fortunately those who decided to sit and wait for the birds to come to them
and they were not disappointed

We trudged up hill and down dale; some through Sloss? Gully other along the
pipeline and out to the View. It was spectacular scenery across the gorge
but no Wedge-tailed eagle nests did we spy!

So after our repast we crept into the bush and stood quietly.  Soon the
Scarlet robins, male and female appeared, the Treecreepers came out from
behind the trunks of the trees. Ever a Golden Whistler flashed out.

The journey home was fascinating, just 14.2 km from Werribee we saw 12+
Banded Lapwing in a recently ploughed paddock.

I think one  member  summed up the day well, ?It was worth coming out just
to enjoy the bush and have a cuppa among friends!?

Australian Wood Duck

White Faced Heron

Straw-necked Ibis

Marsh Harrier