birding-aus

Barren grounds

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Barren grounds
From: cbrandis <>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 20:02:51 +1000
I must appologise for not responding earlier but I thought BA might.
BA has pulled out of BGBO sighting that the facilities require substantial, and therefore expensive, upgrading to meet NPWS requirements. NPWS actually run the Nature Reserve and to get accommodation accepted in a NP that is not controlled by NPs is really difficult. At the last Bird Interest Group of NSW, BIGnet, meeting BGBO was raised with NPWS who are to meet with representatives, Illawarra Bird Observers Club being the nearest group, to see what can be done with what is left of the facilities. NPWS are fixing the house for a ranger to live in and BA are removing a lot of their equipment etc and we hope to do something with the educational centre. NPWS are already running educational walks by rangers during holiday periods and it is hoped something like a Friends of BGs can be established. The birds are still there, research is still being conducted but there will be no overnight accommodation. BA appear to be concentrating on their own properties where they have control and can make it money out of the venture. Cheers Chris Brandis