birding-aus

Rose and Red-capped Robins

To: "Bill Jolly" <>
Subject: Rose and Red-capped Robins
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:43:16 +1000

Red Caps and Rose robins in the same location??? wow..

That seems unusual coming from Victoria, since Red caps are usually confined to the drier parts of the state, and Rose robins in the wetter parts.

Is there anywhere else in australia that this happens, or this just an unusual circumstance/location?

Peter

"Bill Jolly" <>
Sent by:

03/05/2004 12:43 PM

"Birding Aus" <>
cc
Subject
[BIRDING-AUS] Rose and Red-capped Robins

We had a female Rose Robin here just a few days after the Red-capped Robin I
mentioned in my last posting. But now a week has gone by without a sighting
of either.

Until yesterday (Sunday), when I was lured into an unplanned walk by a
tumult of small birds feasting their way all around the garden - too many to
mention but including Speckled Warblers, Yellow Thornbills, Yellow-rumped
Thornbills, whistlers, fantails, White-throated Gerygone, Varied Sitellas,
fairywrens and much else in the trees, while dozens of Plum-headed,
Double-barred, Zebra and Red-browed Finches were tumbling through the low
plants and native grasses beneath them.

In the midst of all this chattering activity, I happened to wander off the
track and found at my feet a freshly dead small bird - no obvious injury,
just a petite form prostrate on the ground with dew glistening on its
feathers. Its tiny size and white outer tail feathers suggested straight
away that it was the female Red-capped Robin, which upon examination proved
to be the case.

Not having had a Red-capped Robin in the hand before, I was surprised to
find that the soles of its feet and toes were a beautifully bright yellow,
the sort of thing you get to note on the occasional Little Egret flying by,
but not so easily seen on a robin.

The body hasn't been attacked by ants or flies, and is in good order. If
anyone from the Queensland Museum is on this list, and would care to contact
me, I'll be pleased to make arrangements to pass the bird on. It's resting
in the freezer just now.

This-morning, our currently resident Plumheads seem to have increased to
maybe 50 or 60 - they've started coming on to the verandah, where
incidentally we have a Restless Flycatcher at the moment, foraging for
spiders.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.