birding-aus

CORRECTION: Sea-Eagle/Swamp Harrier at WTP on 6th Feb 2003

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: CORRECTION: Sea-Eagle/Swamp Harrier at WTP on 6th Feb 2003
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 11:52:16 +1000
The value of bird-aus and its contributors.  I would like to thank Philip
Veerman for his interest and taking the time to view the video footage of my
original posting.
Without it, I would have continued to believe my identification was correct.

Hi All,
On 6th Feb 2003, I posted a sighting (see below) under the heading "Werribee
BOP query" in which I mentioned the above birds perched together.  The only
questions in my mind was the size of the Sea-Eagle and the close proximity
to one another.
No interest/query was shown at the time, so I put it down as an unusual
occurrance and never gave it another thought.  Until recently.
Philip Veerman wrote to me recently asking if, with the passage of time, I
had any doubts about my identification.  As I still had the video footage, I
replayed it a number of times and apart from the above query re size, I was
quite confident with my original posting.
I offered to forward the footage to Philip for his opinion and with Philip's
reply in hand (see below) and surrounded by field guides, I replayed the
tape.
I now realise my SE was in fact a Whistling Kite.
I am quite familiar with Sea-Eagles (or thought I was!) having visited
Mallacoota on numerous occasions, but the pale (I thought white) head/chest
and darker wings made me immediately think Sea-Eagle!.
No excuse for a wrong identification of a bird I thought I couldn't mistake.