birding-aus

Canberra Garden Bird survey report

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Canberra Garden Bird survey report
From: "jilldening" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:13:54 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Early last year I bought a copy of Philip Veerman's report on the first 18 years of the COG garden bird surveys. I had a quick look at it at the time, but put it aside then until I needed it.

Now, having spent some time on it in recent weeks, I have to recommend the publication to those who might not be aware of it, and who might have an interest. It isn't a publication for the casual birdwatcher, but if you live in the region, it gives a very detailed look at what is happening to birds over an extended period. The charts showing the decline of the Starling and the increase of the Common Myna are just beautiful, as just one example.

I bought the report as one of several I wanted to check out prior to writing a report of my own, on which I am now working. Many of you will guess of course that it is on the terns of the Caloundra Sandbanks, SEQld. However, I am not writing for general sale as Philip has, but rather for a specific target aimed at better management of the area.

If anyone is working along similar lines to mine, you would also find this report useful, for its varied approach to data analysis. Much of it goes over my head, as I am not trained in statistics, but it has a place at many levels.

Philip is probably still a subscriber to birding-aus, and you can get in touch with him through the list. I am not currently on the list.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening
Ph 07 5494 0994