birding-aus

Thank You All - The Sequence of Orders and Families

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Thank You All - The Sequence of Orders and Families
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:15:58 +1000
G'day all and Myles,
Thanks for the thanks re HTML/Plain Text info.

Re Taxonomic order
None of the big names in ornithology agree 100% and therefore publish
their own lists
eg James F Clements, Michael Walters, Howard & Moore, Monroe & Sibley,
etc

Some of these were available on the Web
... but all I can find now is Sibley
http://ces.iisc.ernet.in/hpg/envis/sibleydoc63.html
http://www.ornitaxa.com/SM/SMOrg/sibley3.html

Here in Australia the accepted sequence of Australian Birds is the out
of print
"The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia and its Territories"
by Leslie Christidis and Walter Boles.
It was published by the Royal Austrasian Ornithologists Union (now
Birds Australia)
as Monograph 2 in 1994

But it is available via the The Australian Museum Web page at
http://www.amonline.net.au/birds/
The list itself is at
http://www.amonline.net.au/birds/stuff/bird_list.htm
Dr Walter Boles the co-author of Monograph 2, is Collection Manager,
Ornithology Section of the Museum.

My Master Australian List is available from the Downloads Section of
Birds Queensland Web Page
http://birdsqueensland.org.au/
That version includes the page numbers for our 4 Oz Field Guides ..
and highlights that the Authors have followed various sets of rules
for their species sequence.

I can provide this list to anyone who emails me. It is in Excel format
but the Microsoft Viewer Program
http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp allows anyone to open
& read Excel Spreadsheets.

The Birds Queensland Downloads Section also includes my Quick Indexes
for the 4 Oz Field Guides.
It is in zip format. Those who have troubles can email me for Word.doc
format copies.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps
(My own strong view is that "look alike' birds should be together
regardless of their taxonomy. E.g. it is dumb to separate Brown Quail
and Little Button-Quail by up to 84 pages ! Field Guides should be
that alone !!)

pps
For those interested in Phylogeny and the classification of birds they
can finds heaps on the internet
eg
http://digilander.libero.it/avifauna/classificazione/sibley's_index.ht
m by Dr Charles Sybley