birding-aus

PAGE 4: Trip highlights: Bris->Katoomba->Bris

Subject: PAGE 4: Trip highlights: Bris->Katoomba->Bris
From: Judith Lukin-Amundsen <>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:52:16 +1000
        Capertee Valley: The regional motel brochure describes this as the largest canyon in the world (though not so deep as the Grand Canyon), and as having the greatest number of birds per square inch of any place in the Southern Hemisphere! I imagine this means Species, and not Population or Biomass?) In the sadly short time with which I found myself in passing through here, and with my limited skills, and given the stone-hard cruelty of the Dry here, these sightings were great: Glen Davis: Hooded Robin, White-plumed Honeyeater, Jacky Winter, Double-barred Finches (seeming to be using a nest built on top of a low-hung, dead mistletoe), Wedge-tailed Eagles (two soaring splendidly above the cliff edges), Diamond Firetails (how beautiful they are!), see the note below RE the *mystery bird alongside them, Grey Shrike-thrush, Eastern Yellow Robin, Western Gerygone, Peaceful Dove (H), Zebra Finch, White-faced Heron. At the Glen Alice turnoff: There was water in the creek/river-bed here! Red-rumped parrots appeared to be nesting in a trunk-hole on the riverbank. In the field across the road, Diamond Firetails were very cleverly jumping for grass-stems, then pulling them down, curving, until they had a grip on the seed-head. Marvellous! Peaceful Dove was heard again, and also seen again in this little grove were White-plumed Honeyeater and Double-barred Finch.
        A little discovery after this was McKane's Bridge - over Cox's River, out from the Lithgow-Katoomba highway along McKane's Falls Road. Park in the 'carpark' waste-ground beyond the bridge, where the tyre is hanging from a tree. Walk away from the bridge - you'll see a track - until you come to the rocks, where water pools. (Be aware that this is quite a solitary place, and also that there was a wild dog/dingo/fox, grass-height, russet-backed, moving off or around behind me through the long grass.) Anyway, at the time I was there this seemed to be one of those special places where all the birds from round about come down to drink: Rufous Whistler (various ages), Spotted Pardalote, White-browed Scrubwren, White-eared Honeyeater, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, White-naped Honeyeater, Crimson Rosella, Grey Fantail, Brown Thornbill. Being uneasy, I was, regretfully, here a very short time - but had that feeling that if you could spend an afternoon...
        In the rainforest running down into Megalong Valley, I nearly ran over a Superb Lyrebird - the only glimpse I had, and barely a chance to look at it being so busy avoiding it on that narrow road! In the almost-darkness of this vegetation, I felt surprise to see an Eastern Yellow Robin and a Lewin's Honeyeater being extremely quiet and invisible.

PAGE 5 FOLLOWS
--

Judith