birding-aus

Birds and school yard garbage

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birds and school yard garbage
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:34:18 +1000
Greetings,

Just after lunch or after school is a great time to go birding in school grounds. Head to the area where the children eat. All the butcherbird family, large honeyeaters, Indian Mynas and sometimes bowerbirds make use of the free feed.

One afternoon when I drove up to the school yard in Laura there were three species of butcherbird sitting in the two trees by the gate! I don't mean magpies either. If you get out your field guide you will soon figure them out

Of course you need to get permission so approach the principal but not just before school as everyone want them then. If you have a working with children card, take that with you in case you are asked.

Regards,
Alan