birding-aus

Bird Rafts as artificial nesting/feeding sites

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Bird Rafts as artificial nesting/feeding sites
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:44:36 +1100
Hi all

Rafts, with several anchors, are quite often put in British wetlands to
providing nesting sites for birds where there is a lack of suitable sites
and/or disturbance around the margins of the wetland.  Common Terns were the
main "target" where I lived in north London, partly because the raft islands
could have gravel surfaces for their nests.  They worked !

I remember people sometimes also trying wire constructions on the side with
vegetation for moorhens and others.

Here I'm wondering their possible use in golf course dams, which have extreme
variations in water levels and steep sides. Here my main concern are grebes,
both Australasian and Hoary-headed.

(I've also been wondering using them to provide artificial feeding platforms
for Rakali/Australian Water Rat.)

I'll collate all replies and report back to Birding-Aus.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife