birding-aus

Bugs for Birds: ID required

Subject: Bugs for Birds: ID required
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:58:08 +1100 (EST)
G'day All,

I am hoping someone might be able to assist my mate with a Hastings local bird ID query.

A description of the bird he has seen follows:

Size wise: Starling but more chunky.
Shape: Grey Butcherbird esp the beak (colour and shape)
Chest: A front on view is a white/grey pastel, but when viewed from the side then the faintest of mid brown colour can be seen.
Back: Is a Mid Dark Grey.
Tail: Appears slightly darker then the wings but not much.
Wings: White tips on the end of wing feathers but NOT each and every feather.
Voice: Three short sharp melodic bursts repeated two or three times.
Diet: Seems to enjoy hanging off the side of tree trunks digesting bugs and ants.

If anyone can help then we are eternally grateful. We can't find this bird, that has been seen and continues to be seen at irregular daily intervals but it does seem to appear when it does at a certain location in the one
till four pm time slot, none of our seven Australian birding books yielded any help. The latest Simpson and Day, latest Pizzey and Knight, old Macdonald, bird books going back 50 years for Oz, the book not the great man Macdonald is old :^D>>, plus some bird photographic type books. Nothing like this bird can be seen or read about in any book we have here.

Yours in bird friendship John A. Gamblin and friends