birding-aus

White-winged Swamphen

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: White-winged Swamphen
From: TERRILL NORDSTROM <>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:41:13 +1100
At the Chullora wetlands ( Sydney ) there is a Swamphen with white primaries, when the bird is standing you can see the white but it is most noticeable when the bird take flight. What is so strange is that this is not the only white bird to be found at the wetlands, as there are two white to buff coloured Chestnut Teal which hatched three years ago at the wetlands. One is a female which is pale white and the other a male which is more buff with a brown head. Around two years ago I also observed a pure white young Zebra Finch with the flock of around 150 birds that live near the wetlands, but I only saw it once. Also strange was a Spotted Marsh Frog which had white blotches. This site was a contaminated site which was cleaned up five years ago but now I am beginning to wonder about how good a job they done.
                                 Regards Terrill