birding-aus

Night flyer V 3.0

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Night flyer V 3.0
From: "Colin Driscoll" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:27:08 +1100
I think this one goes down as a lesson to carry binoculars and tape recorder
at all times!

Further suggestions were
Flying fox
White-faced Heron
Nankeen Night Heron

It was none of the above or before. I initially thought it was a Night Heron
in the distance as there is a resident one of these that cruises past at
night quite often. However I then realised this bird was high over head and
that I had heard its call while it was quite some distance away.

Mysteries still in birding

Colin

Ok I have votes for Wood Duck, Egret, Heron, Canada Goose.
Not Wood Duck or Egret. I was considering Pacific Heron but too big and wing
beats too strong. Out of left field the Canada Goose seems possible. It was
heading in the direction of the Hexham wetlands so birders looking for the
Black-necked Storks, keep an eye out for the Canada Goose!
Cheers

Colin

Hi all
Here's a challenge...
I live at the edge of Lake Macquarie in the Toronto area and last night at
around 10 a large bird flew over. I heard its call for a while before it
flew over head maybe 100m up and it was big enough to be able to catch its
outline in the moonlight with the naked eye and I could hear the steady
swish of the wing beats. The call was a longish gutteral "owarrgh" (I think
I spelled that right!). It was heading north.
I wasn't an Ibis or Black Swan so what was it?
Cheers
Colin

Colin Driscoll
Environmental Biologist