birding-aus

Common Koels and Black Swans

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Common Koels and Black Swans
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:08:34 +1000
The common koels (male and female) spend quite a bit of time in my yard at Maroochydore, SE Qld.   This year, their breeding went on quite late.   One young turned up some time prior to Christmas, then another at the end of January, and yet another on 2nd March.   I have not seen the female koel for about ten or twelve days, but the male and latest juvenile visit every morning without fail, and most evenings.  However, neither turned up this morning, and I am wondering if today is the beginning of their northern migration.

I am pretty sure that the local crow pair raised the second last chick, but have no clue who the foster parents were for the latest one.  [The crows finally turned up with their own 2 juveniles yesterday - the first they have raised this season!]

I am amazed at how friendly the koels are.  I can walk to within one metre of them, and they come down to the ground quite near me, with perhaps the male being the most outgoing.

Early in the season, the male calls all night and all day, but later on, you can pick when they are about to lay again by the excitement and "wirra-wirra-wirra" calls, and mad flying around.  It has been quite fascinating having them ally themselves so closely to my home this year.

Incidentally, as I walked beside the river last evening, there were 5 black swans smimming at the Cod Hole.  The local jet-skiers have ensured they are not there this morning, but it was lovely to see them on the river which was named for them........Maroochy from marutchi - aboriginal name for the black swan.