birding-aus

Wonga Pigeons and Lewin's Honeyeaters

Subject: Wonga Pigeons and Lewin's Honeyeaters
From: Peter Cheuwon <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:56:14 -0800 (PST)
Hello

While driving my log truck in the vicinity of Mount Torbreck and Mt
Bullfight south-west of Jamieson Victoria over the past few months, I
have been pleasantly surprised to see increased numbers of Wonga
Pigeons compared with the few that would be seen here in the mid
1960's when I was last here working on road construction with the
logging industry.

Recently 30+ Wongas are seen daily when driving over about 120 km of
logging tracks, usually observed early or later in the day.

In this area, Lewin's Honeyeaters are also more common too. They are
a regular sighting in the right habitat at various locations but it
was rare to see them here 40 years ago.

Peter Cheuwon