birding-aus

Bird movements and patterns of migration on Nth plains of victoria

To: <>
Subject: Bird movements and patterns of migration on Nth plains of victoria
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:29:07 +1100
Hi everyone,
After ten years of living on an "island" of vegetation in the very open northern plains of Victoria(10 km west of Pyramid Hill ) and having entered monthly birdlists into a programme designed for birders (Eremaea birds-very good,check it out!) I thought it may interest people to see some of the patterns that have emerged. Excepting the regular resident species here that are seen in nearly every month and general waterbirds and raptors, other species sighted were on the move somewhere!

Species seen regularly in spring:
Black-tailed Nativehen,
Cockatiel,
Budgerigar,
Pallid Cuckoo,
Sacred Kingfisher,
White-winged Triller,
Rufous Songlark,
Little grassbird,
Western Gerygone,
Little Friarbird,
White-browed Woodswallow,
and Masked Woodswallow.

Species recorded during winter(including spring and autumn migration) ,
Blue-winged Parrot,
Grey Fantail,
Flame Robin,
Rufous Whistler,
Golden Whistler,
Spotted Pardalote,
Silvereye,

Species seen mostly in summer:
Long-billed Corella,
Musk Lorikeet,
Purple-crowned Lorikeet,
Swift sp.

Species most regularly recorded in autumn:
Brown Goshawk,
Restless Flycatcher,

Species dispersing from nearby bushalnd at any season,
Common Bronzewing(some longstayers)
Boobook,
Horsfields Bronze Cuckoo,
Red-capped Robin,
Mistletoebird,
Pied Butcherbird,
Red Wattlebird,

Other species seen very rarely:
Lathams Snipe,
Brush Bronzewing,
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo (incredibly seen twice now)
Little Corella,
Rainbow Bee-eater,
Dollarbird,
Scarlet Robin,
Grey-crowned Babbler,
Weebill,
Chestnut-rumped Thornbill,
Pied Honeyeater,
Black honeyeater,
Noisy friarbird,
Blue-faced Honeyeater,
Noisy Miner,
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater,
White-fronted Honeyeater,
Olive-backed Oriole,
White-breasted Woodswallow,
Diamond Firetail.

Resident species of note:
Singing Honeyeater,
Striated Pardalote,
Yellow Thornbill.

And finally species commonly found in nearby bushland which have not passed through:
Brown Treecreeper,
Southern Whiteface,
Brown-headed Honeyeater,
White-browed Babbler,
Hooded Robin,
Jacky Winter,
Crested Shrike-Tit,
Grey Shrike-thrush,
Gilbert's Whistler,
Dusky Woodswallow,
White-winged Chough,

As the revegetation here gets taller I hope to wittle away at the last list though it seems that some birds are better at dispersing than others!
My location here is approx 10 km from any extensive quality remnant vegetation (Serpentine creek to the west and Bullock creek to the east), 25 km from the Terrick Terrick NP and c.50km from Wychitella fora and fana reserve.
125 species and counting.
Good birding to you all,
Simon starr,
PS This has been submitted to the Atlas.