birding-aus

Barbary Doves nesting in Melbourne (for the next 2+ days!)

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Barbary Doves nesting in Melbourne (for the next 2+ days!)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:26:17 +1100
This morning Mike Carter and I went to see and photograph a Barbary Dove
sitting on a nest at Green Point, Brighton (at the west end of South Road).
The nest was found last Friday(?) by Frank Stewart who counted two eggs.

We moved to the Brighton Dunes (just to the north) to try to find the other
bird (2 have been around in recent months) but found two more which later moved
to feed within a metre of the bird on the nest. One of these had a pink tinge
to the head and breast and I had not seen in before.

I hope all the birds will be returned to captivity within a few days.

For anyone interested, the nest is found by going to the large car park just
north of the war memorial. From the circular lookout platform at the SW end of
the car park move north along the edge of the car park. The first clump of tall
vegetation you meet includes a Hakea suaveolens (sericea??) and the nest is
almost over the tarmac at 2 metres.

Signs of autumn today included a Mistletoebird at the Dunes and an immature
Eastern Spinebill.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife