birding-aus

Digital Bird-photography: Compact Digital Camer as (cont)

Subject: Digital Bird-photography: Compact Digital Camer as (cont)
From: Rob Roy <>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:46:34 +1100

A quick note about shutter lag on Digital Cameras.

In my experience (at least on the p&s digitals I've used), shutter lag is in two stages.

The first and by far the majority of the delay is what I call the "setup" stage - while the white-balance, aperture and shutter setting and focussing is being done.

Once the "setup" is complete the actual photo-taking delay is very short (a few milliseconds).

You can cheat on many digital cameras by "half-shuttering" or holding the shutter half way down to tell the camera to do the setup tasks, then recompose the shot and/or wait until the bird/child/animal moves into the desired pose before pressing the shutter the rest of the way down. It then "feels" like you have a very short lag and can catch the exact moment you want.

After a while half-shuttering becomes a habit and I must say I never felt bothered by shutter lag on my old Kodak 280 or 5000 or the Canon Powershots I've used. I still do this on my new Canon DSLR although on this camera any delay is mostly due to auto-focus requirements.

Regards,
Robert Roy
www.roblog.com/4images/
Mob 0407 66 80 90
Email
Glenwood NSW 2768 Australia
Canon EOS 300D, Sigma 400/f5.6 APO
Alas, must amass more cash for good glass