birding-aus

Filming Lyrebirds - RFI

To: bird <>
Subject: Filming Lyrebirds - RFI
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:22:41 +1000

Hello Birding-aus,

I have received, second-hand so to speak, the inquiry I've pasted below.  I have pointed out that it would be essential to do the filming in the breeding season, say May to August, with mid-June being my recommendation.

I have given a general account of the situation with regard to lyrebird behaviour and shyness, and nominated Sherbrooke Forest as the one population of which I am aware, that will tolerate a cautious human presence - or used to; it's 30 years since I was there.  I have also suggested that a permit would be required for commercial filming in Sherbrooke Forest.

Would anyone care to comment, direct to Ms Garbutt please, on the following:

Are the Sherbrooke lyrebirds still tolerant of human observers?

Name and address (email for choice) of the relevant Authority from whom one should inquire as to any necessity for a permit?

Location and accessibility of any other population of Superb Lyrebirds that tolerate human observers?

If anyone describes the permit situation, I'd appreciate a copy of the advice.   When I asked the NSW  NP&WS about access to Koreelah NP to tape Albert's, I was immediately asked was this for commercial purposes.  (It was not.)   I interpreted that as an indication that a permit (and fee?) would have been required had my work been for commercial purposes.

So I wonder what the situation is in Victoria.   And as a matter of curiosity, in Tasmania, where Superb Lyrebirds might with reason be regarded at least as non-native fauna, if not as exotic vermin.

TIA

Syd Curtis in Brisbane

----------

"Sarah Garbutt" <>

I am writing from a production company in the UK called Tigress Productions.  We make science and natural history documentaries and are currently researching into a new programme about animal mimics.  We would like to include a feature about the lyre bird and it's amazing ability to mimic sounds. I've been looking on the internet but have so far not been able to find evidence of research on these birds. Would you know of anyone who could help me? Would you know where we could film them and what time of year would be best to observe their mimicry?

Sarah Garbutt
Tigress Productions Ltd
2 St Pauls Road
Clifton