birding-aus

RE: WBSE in the city

To: "Tom Wilson" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: RE: WBSE in the city
From: "Robert Gosford" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 05:14:14 +1100
Tom - thanks for the note - I knew that the city's gorges and canyons (plus abundant ferals) would provide appropriate habitat and prey for top-level raptors. I always find myself wandering around the city with my eyes cast upwards at buildings like the proverbial country bumpkin - looking at what's in the air and also on the buildings.

Next time I'm in the Governor Macquarie Tower I'll cast my eyes about a bit more critically.

For those interested in real tales of city birds elsewhere - try to track down a copy of "Red-tails in Love" by Marie Winn - it is a wonderful tail of red-tailed hawks (and other birds) in NYC. Published by Bloomsbury Paperbacks in 1998. A great tale of birds and the people that admire them. I got my copy in a discount booksop downtown for about $2 and well recommended at that or any other price!

Cheers
Robert