birding-aus

Black Cockies in the rain

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Black Cockies in the rain
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:21:37 +1100
Hi All

The weather has cooled significantly in Sydney and here in Sans Souci, by Botany Bay we're experiencing nice, steady rain. With this change the numbers of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo have swollen from around the dozen or so regulars to 30 or more today constantly screeching and whirling around the eucalypts and pines in the area.

I'd appreciate any help with the history here, but as far as I am aware, our regulars are part of a flock of around 2 dozen or so which frequented the Hacking River valley from Waterfall to Audley since Black Cockies frequented anywhere and, after the fires which turned the Royal National Park into a total moonscape in the early 1990's these gorgeous birds moved across to the southern suburbs of Sydney, at least by day, in search of feed. It seems that some have made the daily trip to Sans Souci (and sometimes around Sydney Airport and even across to Maroubra at times) a feature of their lives but where they go to at night, I am not yet sure. I plan to give chase in the near future in an effort to find out if the flock returns to the Royal National Park to roost.

Now and again, like today, the numbers swell as these large birds scream and tumble about the air just over the roofs of our homes. It appears that this group of occasional visitors comes from the Royal National Park and this leads me to believe that the "locals" must return to this group in the National Park in the evenings. (I imagine that it's the same individuals who appear over here each day, but only tagging would tell) It's an absolute blessing to have such beautiful visitors every day, where they adorn the trees of our well planted streetscape and screech their way across the skies above our otherwise quiet neighbourhood. Sometimes when I'm out on my evening run by the local ponds and parks I'll come across a group in low scrub by the ponds, face-to-face, literally. They just squawk and slowly fly off to the next tree, leaving me stunned. It's a bazaar juxtaposition to see groups of these large birds, which I generally associate with trips to wilderness areas or drives along the Darling River, flying at low level over the car parks as I exit the local supermarket or petrol station. It's often impossible to study in the evenings with the constant temptation to run to the windows as the flock wheels just above my balcony or they screech in the trees across the road as their beautiful long feathers rustle in the breeze.

A tragic summer may have brought them here but with the Park now bouncing back and many birds raising multiple broods in a good breeding year, I can see that sometimes out of disasters can come blessings.

Regards - Ricki