birding-aus

coxens fig parrot action

Subject: coxens fig parrot action
From: "Lyndy or Graeme" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:44:41 +0000
Howdy everyone,
The culprits in the destruction of the Coxens habitat are David Kemp, Peter Beattie and new Qld. Env. Minister John Mickel. Letters along the lines of - I strongly request you stop the construction of Paradise Dam on the Burnett River. The dam will flood 45kms of remaining Coxens Fig Parrot habitat. The parrot is listed as critically endangered under the EPBC Act and is also preotected under the Qld. Nature Conservation Act. The DEH recovery plan states areas in which the birds are seen should have habitat improved. Building a dam which destroys critical riparian habitat is the opposite of this aim. The birds require established fig trees and callistemon trees. Replanting young trees will not provide alternative habitat. I also urge you to liase with the Qld. EPA threatened species unit to investigate the sighting and further surveys for the birds. I strongly protest at the use of Burnett Water Pty Ltd to undertake surveys. Burnett Water is an entity of the Qld. Dept. of State Development given the job of building Paradise Dam. They have no expertise in ecological matters and are completely compromised in their mission of destroying habitat, not saving it.

Addresses
Qld. Environment Minister
John Mickel Hillcrest Commercial Centre
1-3 Helen St.
Hillcrest Qld 4118

Fed. Env. Minister
David Kemp
Parliament House
Canberra ACT

Premier Peter Beattie
Unit 2, Hill House
541 Boundary St
Spring Hill Qld 4000

I must say I was surprised by the article in the SMH. This is a extract of letters between myself, Kemp and Thomson. I knew nothing about it. Unfortunately it doesnt really mention the thrust of the problem.

If anyone has international contacts this would be a good avenue of pressure if we can get interest there.
Thanks
Graeme Armstrong
89 Capper St Gayndah Qld 4625