birding-aus

Mainland King Penguin

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Mainland King Penguin
From: "Bob Green" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:47:26 +1030
Just reporting an adult King Penguin from Port MacDonnell today (Lower south-east of SA), it was apparently first seen last Wednesday (but if it has moulted there then it has probably been there much longer) but I was told it had gone, then this morning the call we all hope for, to tell me that it was in fact still present and a location where it was to be found. It is an adult bird which has almost completed its moult and was seen making short jaunts into the water and swimming around, one of which was videotaped, so in all likelihood will leave very soon. The colour around the head and neck are absolutely stunning in bright sunlight and a VERY, VERY nice tick.
It was found on the beach between the carpark and viewing platform at the Port MacDonnell Fairy Penguin colony.

Bob Green