birding-aus

Yellow Tailed-black Cockatoos

To: "warragal" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Yellow Tailed-black Cockatoos
From: "belles" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:17:11 +1100
Hi
I actually had one of these magnificent birds in care over a week ago. The poor thing had been hanging by the wing entangled with fishing line, in a high tree all day. People who saw it hanging early in the morning phoned through late Friday around 8.10pm to say they climbed the tree and got it down. It was a juvenile bird, the wing seemed just bruised. After a few days the bird was chewing his wing, I had to make a collar for him. They wont eat in captivety so they normally have to be force fed. The por thing, he pulled all the wing feathers out and the wing was raw. I took it to Vet again and the wing had died from the circulation being cut off due to the fishing line wrapped around the wing. So very sad the poor thing had to be euthanased.

Marian
wildlife carer