birding-aus

Copeland Flora Reserve NSW

To: <>
Subject: Copeland Flora Reserve NSW
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:51:53 +1100
Daer birding-aussers

Many of you will know by now that I frequently take a walk in Copeland Flora Reserve, a small rainforest gulley surviving following cedar getting and state forest logging over the last hundred or more years. This is about 16 km west of Gloucester, NSW, a bit north of Newcastle and in the northern foothills of Barrington Tops.

My great delight last Sunday 8th February at 9 am was to find first one Noisy Pitta (male) and then a short while later a female, having been visiting this place for the last 9 years and never having seen the pittas, only heard them. Then on walking further up the "Hidden Treasure" track, I found what I presume is the same two birds, this time with lots of bugs in their beaks, and very anxious not to show me where they were taking these delicacies. The female quickly vanished but the male sat on a branch 2 metres off the ground, making short low growls or higher pitched churrs, and refusing to move until I left. Which I did after 15 minutes as I didn't want to disturb them too much. Presumably they had nestlings close by. They didn't make the usual "walk to work" calls.

Then walking back down the narrow side track I found a Rufous Fantail sitting on a very new looking nest and (what I think is called) an Angled Tree Dragon eating a beetle. There's always something new to find in Copeland.

Other nice birds seen were two Green Pigeons, juvenile and adult Black-faced and Spectacled Monarchs, Yellow Robins feeding fledglings and a Yellow-throated Scrub-wren female with a beak full of feathers. She flew in and out around the nearby trees and shrubs, chattering in disgust, coming within a metre of her nest but refusing to enter while I remained nearby.

A great spot for a quiet Sunday morning constitutional!