birding-aus

bird tourism opportunities

To: <>
Subject: bird tourism opportunities
From: "Graham Harrington" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:17:00 +1000
I am giving a talk to the World Bird Conservation Conference entitled "Cairns: gateway to tropical birding in Australia".  The Conference is the four yearly event organised by BirdLife International.  It is in Durban, South Africa and runs from 7-13 March. See the BirdLife website www.birdlife.org.uk and click on "World Conference".

My aim in presenting this talk is to start an international campaign to promote birding opportunities in Australia as part of program of the Birds Australia North Queensland Group.  The reason for this is to increase our power to argue for habitat retention and better habitat management.  Dollars seem to be a powerful argument in NQ!

I will be happy to carry a moderate amount of promotional material for any birding activity in Australia and display it on the table, which we will be running for the duration of the conference.  Sample books, brochures (commercial or not), website addresses and descriptions, details of any bird tours or acommodation catering for birders will be  welcome but must reach me by the end of this month.  I will be happy to discuss this with anyone by email or on the fax/phone 07 4096 5051.  My address is PO Box 680, Malanda, Q 4885.

If anyone has truly stunning photos of birds in North Queensland I would love to include them in my talk.  Digital would be best but if you send me slides I would scan them and return immediately.  Copyright will be strictly protected and they would only be used in my audio-visual and with full acknowledgment.

Best wishes for birding in 2004.  Graham Harrington.