birding-aus

SIPO in Newcastle

To: "'BIRDING-AUS'" <>
Subject: SIPO in Newcastle
From: Phil Hansbro <>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:13:52 +1100
Hi all

Last night Richard Baxter and myself discovered a South Island Pied Oystercatcher at Stockton Sandpit in Newcastle. The bird was with 7 Australian Pied Oystercatchers on exposed mud between the back of the sandspit and some mangroves. We watched the bird from 6.30-8.00pm. The bird stood out from the rest as being significantly smaller all around. The bird was at least 10% smaller, had a 20% longer bill and 20% shorter legs than the longest billed and shortest legged OZPO. Curiously the legs were a brighter pink and the tail and wings were shorter than the OZPOs the tail was approximately 1 cm longer than the primaries on the folded wing. These features combined to impart a dumpier jizz. We did the see the SIPO fly and it had an extensive white back and a long broad white upperwing bar which joined the white back and extended onto the inner primaries. The underwings were mostly white and the under-secondaries and all the coverts were white and the primaries were the only dark parts of the underwings. The SIPO was chased once by an OZPO no other OZPOs were chased. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me. We with Ann Lindsay, Nick Leseburd and Alan Stuart searched for the bird again this morning. We saw 11 OZPOs but no SIPO but I may have a look again this evening. High tide is around 8pm tonight. We also saw a Broad-billed Sandpiper there.

We will be making a submission to BARC.

Good luck if decide to look for it.

Phil.