birding-aus

[alforbes@telstra.com: Sulphur Crested Cockatoo Behavior]

Subject: : Sulphur Crested Cockatoo Behavior]
From: (Andrew Taylor)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:36:28 +1100
Maybe someone expert in the ways of cockatoos can help
Alf out directly.

Andrew

----- Forwarded message from alforbes <> -----

From: alforbes <>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:45:57 +1100

Andrew, I have been recently browsing the mail messages from the Birding-Aus
Site and I was wondering how I could get answer on a bird question I have?
About a week ago 3-4 Sulphur Crested Cockatoo's took up residence in my yard
(first time in 15 years). They appear to be quite tame (you just about walk
right up to them),  and instead of screeching sound like they are almost
talking. One has difficulty flying (dont know if it's injured or a juvenile)
and appears to be being "looked after" by the others.
Is this normal behavior, or could they be escapees? Their tameness is a worry
with the cats in the local area.
Looking forward to an answer
Alf Forbes Boronia Victoria

----- End forwarded message -----