birding-aus

diamond firetail habitat

To: <>
Subject: diamond firetail habitat
From: "Cilla Kinross" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:31:06 +1100
I am interested in finding an area with breeding Diamond Firetails in the Central West of NSW, preferably above 600m elevation to use as a reference area for a habitat improvement project on a vineyard between Orange and Molong (near the Bell River).  Failing that, a good habitat description would help, even if not in this region.  I've got a bit of information about their food sources, but not much on habitat at this elevation (lots on lower sites e.g. Dubbo, and archival reports at Capertee etc., but that is not much help for this area).

If anyone has any records (past or present) for the Orange/Molong area that would be useful too.  The wildlife atlas is quite quiet in this respect.  I've seen them just south of Mount Canobolas (but not obviously breeding), but they seem to quite rare in this district now, especially at the higher elevations that have been predominantly cleared for grazing.

Thanks for your help.

Cilla Kinross

Lecturer in Environmental Management
University of Sydney, Orange