birding-aus

Cattle Egrets breeding

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Cattle Egrets breeding
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:45:46 +1100
Edwin Vella wrote:
".......Previously I thought that Cattle Egrets only nested as far south as Newcastle with these birds mainly visiting Sydney in the winter time. However I have been noticing more Cattle Egrets hanging about in the summer time (and in their breeding plumage) in Sydney and this may explain why. Are there any other Cattle Egret nesting colonies further south than Newcastle? ....."

On Christmas Day I noticed a Cattle Egret fly up from a group of cattle as I was heading off to family celebrations at the corner of Coghlan and Rhyll Rds on Phillip Island.  Its the first time I've noticed them down in this area during summer.  this one was also in breeding plumage - another first for me!  Since then I have also noticed a small group of cattle in breeding plumage on the mainland near Bass/Corinella.  Maybe we should be looking for a breeding colony in the area?  My first guess after Edwin's suggestion would be the Rhyll Swamp where Ibis nested, at least until the drought started.

Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island, Vic.