birding-aus

reliabilty of on-line Atlas data

To: <>
Subject: reliabilty of on-line Atlas data
From: "Noel Luff" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:40:06 +1100
I have recently downloaded the bird list for grid 32S 145E which covers the Yathong Nature Reserve in central NSW. The habitat is primarily mallee/woodlands

In all there were 5 species on this list that were not included in the published data in the New Atlas of Australian Birds. I appreciate that this is an on going data base which could account for two of the species (White-bellied Sea-Eagle and Pied Cormorant) being seen after the end NABA's cut off date.

But there were three species whose normal range come no where near this grid (and one in particular (Bell Miner) which is a very suspect)
The three that I query are
    i) Bell Miner
    ii) Rainbow Lorikeet
    iii) Australian King-Parrot

My main concern is the reliability of this data