birding-aus

Little Tern Protection

To: <>
Subject: Little Tern Protection
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:44:11 +1100

I must congratulate Jill Denning, Terrill Nordstrom and other birdos regarding their suggestions for ways to save the Little Terns and nesting shorebirds. Certainly the more presence of birders around the Little Tern nesting areas will help even if for a few hours at a time. I for one have spent a number of hours (not just for a couple of hours) during the past months around these Little Tern nesting areas. Though spending a lot of time looking at both shorebirds and terns at the nearby sandspits or the shearwater wizzing past the beach, I've also got my eyes on the lookout for anyone causing potential trouble to these poor birds and other shorebirds that nest there (so far I have not witnessed any trouble as yet but have come across people stopping to read the Little Tern nesting area signs and walk away). I also plan to spend more hours in future over the next few weeks around these areas. If I lived close to the coast, I would be even spending more time. I believe that fellow birdos like Darryl McKay have done a tremendous job in devoting a lot of their time in attending these breeding colonies and are doing a very important job for Australia (Vote Darryl McKay for Australian of the Year!!!). However, we may also need our presence at these sites at night, when few people are about on the beach and at a time when such vandalism toTern and shorebird breeding colonies could happen.

Maybe we also need some secret surveillance cameras around the colonies? and have warning signs around these nesting areas stating that they are under 24 hours surveillance, 7 days a week and to report any offenders to.....

I am also in the process of writing a letter to the government in the meantime in relation to this matter. Maybe we should even get a petition going addressed to the government to lobby for more funds towards Beach nesting Bird protection?

Edwin Vella