birding-aus

Nelson area report

To: <>
Subject: Nelson area report
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:22:55 +1100
Hello and thanks again for help re finding Red-tailed Black Cockatoos and waders in far SW Vic.
In 2 days with a some-times reluctant family in tow !,I found a lot of birds thanks to some good tips. Why did we drive 1 hour to the beach when there was a perfectly good one just down the road??? Waders of course!
No luck with seeing any Red-tails but good fun looking.Around Nelson the bush was full of Brush Bronzewings(hardly saw any Commons)and plenty of Rufous Bristlebirds.The Blackbirds were abundant and singing well all day.Looks like my local birds just don't need to sing!?Didn't like seeing one chase off a Bristlebird though.
Thanks to Bill Ramsey for a spot to look for Beautiful Firetail. I went to the Livingstone island nature trail at the Nelson estuary,walked to between posts 1 and 2 and made pishing noises! A nearly instant reaction when one adult came into full close view.Beautiful!
A small number of Little Terns were in the Nelson estuary but didn't seem to be much in the way of nesting activity.The fenced off island was quiet and even when the beach and estuary were full of people no one crossed the fence.
Carpenters Rocks past Port MacDonnell in SA was great for shorebirds.Waders present in order of abundance
Red-necked Stint ( 500 ????)
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper(c.250)
Turnstone (c.150)
Curlew Sandpiper ( 150),
Pacific Golden Plover (c.50)
Greenshank (30)
Red-capped Plover(10)
Masked Lapwing(4)
Sooty Oystercatcher(4),
Pied Oystercatcher(3),
Great Knot (3),
Red Knot(2),
Grey-tailed(I assume) Tattler ( 1 ),
Eastern Curlew (1),
Bar-tailed Godwit(1).
All very good for a coast-starved birder.
108 sp. for the trip and especially pleased to see Great Knot after a long dry spell.
Also nice to see Emus all over the place.A great part of the world.
Regards Simon Starr.