birding-aus

Where are all the Comb-crested Jacanas?

To: <>
Subject: Where are all the Comb-crested Jacanas?
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:56:06 +1100
I posted a query regarding my concern of the absence of many Jacanas around the Hunter region. One birdo responded to say that they were seen at Hillville (in the Hunter Region and near Taree) last November (though myself and David Mitford could not find them there on 2 occassions since). A few responses back from QLD birdos (north and south QLD) mentioned that they have also made a dissapearance in their areas for quite some time). Can somebody respond (esp. from the east coast) to say that there are still Jacanas around in good/usual numbers in any location around their area. Has there been an increase in Jacanas in any area within Australia over the past year?.

I would expect these birds to be sedentary unless the habitat deteriorates, such was the case for Collieroy Dam in the Hunter (in the middle of last year with the drought) at one stage, but Hillville Dam still looks much in a healthy state (or so it seems).

Thanks

Edwin