birding-aus

Thanks Steve!

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Thanks Steve!
From: "Jennie Towan" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:38:34 +1100
That was a lovely welcome, just when I was beginning to feel intimidated by all the knowledgeable talk!  We live in Bowning, small village out of Yass NSW.  We have sulphur crested cockatoos of course, (occasionally infected with beak & feather disease which is sad - anyone got any info?) and pink galahs - juveniles are just beginning to form 'gangs' with their contemporaries - at least that's what it looks like to us - eastern & crimson rosellas, red rumped parrots and rare visits from superb parrots, and a dollarbird visited us briefly last year.  We're trying to grow vegetation that will encourage wrens & honey eaters too.  We have a wonderful old eucalypt which is home to lots of fauna, but the starlings seem to have taken over all the good spots for nests.  We did see a pair of cockatoos making a very interested inspection of one hollow, but nothing has come of it.  One of my biggest concerns is the terrible state of the trees in our district - I guess it's salinity, so many trees just look as if they are ready to curl up their toes & die.  In our immediate vicinity (we have a 1 acre block) things are not too bad, & we're planting, planting.  Cheers all, Jennie Towan