birding-aus

RE: Unusual Galah

To: <>, <>
Subject: RE: Unusual Galah
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:10:27 +1000
Hi,
David wrote, 'Birds such as Zebra Finches, Budgerigars and Neophemas probably have some close relative that looks nothing like the wild ancestor.'

A few years ago I saw a collection of Neophemas in a fair in southern Germany. The first bird I saw looked like a wild N. petrophila then  N. chrysostoma but when I saw one with scarlet on the chest and wing I became very confused. I thought I had boned up on these lovely little parrots for a trip to southern Australia the year before and had indeed seen most of them. I spoke to the breeder who did not even know they were Australian. If I remember correctly he said that he had bred all the birds and from a limited stock.

I too enjoy the reasoned, non-vitriolic debates which sometimes arise within this group.

Regards,
Alan