birding-aus

Superb Parrot

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Superb Parrot
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:27:09 +1100
Took a trip to Mildura and back in the first three weeks of November.One of my target birds was Superb Parrot (others were Mallee Emu-wren, Red-lored Whistler, and Australasian Bittern) so I was "on alert" from Dubbo on. Got my first probable sighting about 20km south of Dubbo, just a quick glimpse of 2 travelling high and fast across the road,not at all satisfactory or tickable.
  We planned the homeward journey to take us deep into superb parrot territory, but were highly successful on our first morning on leaving Mildura. Got reasonable travelling views of a pair about half-way between Hay and Naranderra, and within 10 mins a group of 3 travelled at eye level beside my fast-decelerating vehicle for 300 metres or so.They then veered-off and were lost.
    Spent the arvo at Fiveborough Swamp at Leeton and that night camped in the State Forest on the Murrumbidgee Rv about 10 km south of Leeton. There we were treated to great perched and scoped views af, firstly, a juvenile, and shortly in the tree above our camp a male and two females. They remained until dark and presumably roosted. In the morning we saw two other parties, 7 in all whilst packing up. A great way to get a new bird!!

      Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ