birding-aus

Long Billed corellas in QLD

To: "Graeme Petersen" <>
Subject: Long Billed corellas in QLD
From: knightl <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:42:08 +1000
LBCs have been around SEQ for a while - probably bred from escapees.

Regards, Laurie.

On Friday, December 26, 2003, at 09:14  PM, Graeme Petersen wrote:

Hi,

Just hoping someone might be able to give me answer re long billed corellas.

I live in Logan City (about half way between Brisbane & Gold Coast) and have had a long billed corella visiting us for sometime now. We have also had a flock of little corellas in the area for quite a while. I assumed that the flock of little corellas had come in from western Qld during the drought looking for food but I thought the long billed corella must be an escaped cage bird. Today for the first time I noticed 4 long billed corellas! 3 flew away immediately when I walked out to fill up the bird bath the other just climbed higher up the branch he was on and kept an eye on me. I'm guessing he is fairly used to humans and is probably the one that has been hanging
around for a while

According to the Readers Digest book of Australian Birds these birds are native to Western Vic. Is it possible these are wild birds...or more likely
that they've all escaped or been let loose from captivity?

I'm not a member of your list so if someone has any info could you email me
direct? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Graeme Petersen
Waterford West