birding-aus

Some unkwon birds

To: Erik Enbody <>
Subject: Some unkwon birds
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 05:45:27 +1000
Hi Erik,

Had a look at your shots, you really need to edit these files to a smaller-size before uploading them on the web, each one took 3-5 minutes to download with my dial-up connection. An 822kb file is far too large, my original files come off the camera at about 1 megabyte but I can usually get them to under 100kb without a noticeable drop in quality (for web-viewing) For this reason I only managed to look at a few, and I'm sure most others on birding-aus (without broadband) will think likewise.

The only bird that I thought that I could identify was:

P1010951 Striated Thornbill

I'm guessing with these but I would say:

P1010872 Grey Teal
P1010718 Olive Whistler
P1000430 Apostlebird

Might also be helpful if you put the location of each shot, there is a lot of distance between Queensland, Sydney, and Kangaroo Island!

Tom

Erik Enbody wrote:

This past summer (Australia winter) I took a trip to Queensland, Sydney, and Kangaroo Island. I took lots of pictures, mostly birds, and there were some birds that I had a hard time idenifying. I posted these at http://www.cse.msu.edu/~enbody/oz/unknownBirds/. I am pretty sure of the cormorant being a Black Faced, and I think that the grebe pictures are Australasian Grebes, but not sure whether or not they are Hoary-Headed. Some of the pictures are a bit blurry, but if anyone knows what they might be, that would be great.

Happy Holidays,
Erik Enbody

--
Tom & Marie Tarrant