birding-aus

Christmas morning

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Christmas morning
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 08:06:23 +1000
Christmas morning, and all through the house not a creature is stirring,
except me.

But outside, there's quite a bit of gentle action. Striped Honeyeaters are
calling away, and visiting the bird bath, as are White-throated Honeyeaters;
a couple of Eastern Whipbirds are duetting close to the house, and Superb
Fairywrens are foraging around on the verandah.

Heaps of Fairy Martins are cruising about, Chestnut-breasted Mannikins,
Zebra Finches, Double-barred Finches and Red-browed Finches are at a couple
of handfuls of seed spilled just in front of my window. Lewin's and Brown
Honeyeaters are noisily active, and a Willie Wagtail is rushing around
scolding all of the above. But no-one takes him seriously and the mood
really is one of goodwill.

Two Little Curlew were at Lake Atkinson on Monday & Tuesday, Cotton Pygmy
Geese at Lake Freeman (behind Lake Apex in Gatton (also at Colleges Crossing
on the Brisbane River) and several Wandering Whistling Duck also at Lake
Freeman. We stumbled across Ground Cuckoo-shrikes nesting at a new (for us)
location not far from home, and an hour in Ravensbourne National Park turned
up Noisy Pitta, Wompoo Fruit-doves, Regent Bowerbirds, plus several other
rainforest pigeons and passerines.

Back to this-morning, The family are all here, and tis the season to be
Jolly, so I'm looking forward to a day of relaxed festivity in the company
of loved ones, plus a few birds - and I wish the same for all of you....

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org
Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056

---