birding-aus

RE: Bird Classifications outside Australia

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: Bird Classifications outside Australia
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:12:34 +1000
Further to my posting regarding Australian bird classification, this message was posted on the Birdchat by James F. Clements Ph.D.(one of the world's foremost authorities on bird classification and nomenclature) in answer to Jerry Blinn's comments regarding my questions.

Hope this provides an interesting note to Birding-Aus  readers.

/Dear Jerry et al.

Thanks for the note about Australian taxonomy. Several of my Australian
readers have made comments regarding taxonomic changes that have appeared
in the Directory of Australian Birds by Shodde and Mason.

However, Les Christides informs me that the "bible" should be the
multi-volume Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic Birds,
edited by Higgins and Peter. I just purchased Volume 6 Pardalotes to
Shrike-thrushes and there are a number of glaring discrepancies between the
two works. However, the latter has the blessing of the Royal Australian
Ornithologists' Union, which more or less obliges me to follow it. The
changes that I have published on my two most recent updates reflect the
treatment accorded in Higgins and Peter.

//Hope this helps answer your question. Don't hesitate to contact me if you
have any specific taxonomic questions.

James F. Clements, Ph.D.

/

--