birding-aus

What's in a Scientific Name?

Subject: What's in a Scientific Name?
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:45:41 +0000
I guess the simple answer is that taxonomy is an evolving science as new techniques become adopted and exisiting relationships re-examined. There are also various schools of thought on taxonomy and disagreements are common!

Comb-crested Jacana (according to HBW) was originally named by Temminick in 1828 as Parra gallinacea. HBW lists Irediparra as the current genus, but notes that some authoritites put it in Metopidius or Jacana - in other words pick the expert you are most happy with! Clements - who is one of the widely used authorities and publishes a Checklist of the Birds of the World - also uses Irediparra.

But there is no "right" answer as there is no single world authority and anyone can propose any taxonomy they like - I could propose that it is really in Aquila (the eagles) - but I doubt that anyone would take me seriously!