birding-aus

Tattler & Darter at Penrice, SA

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Tattler & Darter at Penrice, SA
From: Philip Griffin <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:55:04 -0500
Greetings,

Nick Talbot and I just spent a few hours at the Penrice Saltfields,
1/2 hour (by car) north of Adelaide, SA.

65 or so species of birds at Penrice itself, mostly seen on the western
(mangrove) track.

Lots of birds around, good numbers of Greenshank, Avocet, Great
Crested Grebe, White & Little Egrets, 5 Common Sandpipers and lots
more.

Two species which I haven't seen at Penrice before were:

Australian Darter & Grey-tailed Tattler.

The darter was at the jetty where the Night Herons and Feral Pigeons
are almost always seen, where the mangrove-lined creek sweeps by
at the bend of the road.

The tattler was south of this, on the main mangrove track between the
darter and the bridge where you can almost always see Spiny-cheeked
Honeyeaters and Black-tailed Native-hens.

I know both species are recorded from Penrice but they're new for
me there.

Philip Griffin