birding-aus

Holiday Help Requested!

Subject: Holiday Help Requested!
From: "Dave Williams" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:37:36 -0000
I am travelling to Aus at the end of February next year and will be
spending some 3+ weeks over there.  My itinerary is to start in Brisbane,
drive sown to Sydney and on to Melbourne before spending the last
week based in Hobart.

This email is to ask for (polite) suggestions as to where I can do some
good birding and get to exercise my trusty old SLR!  Am debating
whether to bring scope or to settle with bins (as part of my trip is for work
I will have quite a bit of that material to carry around!).  Idiot proof
directions to the locations would be appreciated as I will probably only
have one shot at finding each site!

Am quite happy to walk off the road (within reason!) and generally
wander around.

As I have very little knowledge of Aus birds (or any according to some of
colleagues), everything will be good.

What field guide is recommended?

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.

Cheers,
Dave