birding-aus

New Zealand storm-petrel rediscovery!

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: New Zealand storm-petrel rediscovery!
From: Brent Stephenson <>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:44:48 +1300

Hi all,

As mentioned by Ken Tucker, New Zealand storm-petrel has effectively been ‘rediscovered’!  Some of you will remember back to our sighting of a ‘possible’ New Zealand storm-petrel off of Whitianga, New Zealand, on 25 January 2003.

This sighting caused a bit of a stir at the time, and has continued to do so, due to the fact that this ‘species’ was supposedly extinct, and only known from 3 specimens – one at Tring in London, and two at the Paris Museum.  The fact that this ‘species’ was supposedly extinct, so little known historically, and similar in first appearance with the Fregetta storm-petrels (both Black-bellied and White-bellied) were at the time considered to outweigh the possible rediscovery of this species.  Recent work does suggest that NZ storm-petrel is actually a good species rather than a form or sub-species.

The recent sighting, by Bob Flood and Bryan Thomas, of a small ‘flock’ of storm-petrels off Little Barrier on 17 November 2003, has in effect provided conclusive evidence that this species still exists.  Information regarding this sighting, and a full description of the birds as seen by these two very competent birders, has indeed just been published in the December issue of Birding World, along with five extremely sharp, superb photos.  Bob would however, like an important erratum to be brought to attention….

"Bob Flood's article on the New Zealand Storm-petrel was published in

Birding World on December 10th. Bob has noticed that the caption to Plates 6

& 7 is incorrect. The caption should read, 'Black-bellied Storm-petrel

Fregetta tropica c.40 kms east of Southport, Queensland, Australia, November

15, 2003 (Bryan Thomas ...'. Bringing this error to the attention of

interested parties will prevent confusion."

We have been given the opportunity to include Bob and Bryan’s information and photos on our website, as of 25 December 2003, and will let BIRDING-AUS know when this has been updated.  For more information on the original sighting and photos taken at the time, see

http://www.wrybill-tours.com/idproblems/stormpet.htm

This is truly an amazing development, and something I just can’t believe I am a part of.  Any thoughts, ideas, or contributions towards the rediscovery are welcomed.

Regards,

Brent (and Sav)

Brent Stephenson

Eco-Vista: Photography & Research + Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ

email m("paradise.net.nz","eco-vista");">

http://www.eco-vista.com and http://www.wrybill-tours.com