birding-aus

Digiscoping or Digital SLR

To: Chris Fagyal <>,
Subject: Digiscoping or Digital SLR
From: "Niven" <>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 07:48:05 +0930
Hi all
I'll start this note by stating my position.
I'm in the very early stages of using digiscoping to get bird photos, and I'm
unlikely to get into DSLR with expensive high quality lenses. I don't feel
however that digiscoping is limited to getting 'record shots' of the odd bird.
Indeed I expect to use some of my photos for print publication. Not to forget
that 'publication' these days means as much the Web as it does paper
anyway, and that puts a different slant onto things.
I think Chris hit the nail on the head when he said "what ** I ** mean by
good.."; and "publishable photographs (**8x11..and larger**)". The two
issues here are that "good" is personal (from my Fine Arts background I
learned that crispness is not essential for quality) and that not all of us are
intending to submit our photos for publication at coffee table book size and
so will not have to meet the narrow criteria of mainstream publishing houses.

One of the great things about digiscoping is that there are now in the public
forum many photographs of birds that were hitherto unavailable. And many
are beautiful pictures of great birds (and vice versa). I can see the listservs
building into quite a significant resource for birdwatchers, photographers and
researchers.
Cheers
Niven