birding-aus

swifts

To: <>
Subject: swifts
From: "Phillip DUKE" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:51:42 +1100
The recent postings of sightings of swifts reminds me of an afternoon in the early 1980's when at a friends's property in the West Cooroy hills (about 25 miles west of Noosa).  At the edge of a storm cell directly above me, there were literally 100's of swifts catching the insects that had been driven ahead of the storm front.  I do not know which species of swift they were but clearly a large swift with their perfect boomerang shape. They were the same species and they stacked in layers: one layer above the other going very high. Then it rained. And that was that. Never saw them again. Not a one.