birding-aus

Riflebird feather sounds

Subject: Riflebird feather sounds
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:30:47 +1100
Thanks Dean,
      To add some further information to our observations of riflebird
feather/wing sounds.  I agree with Deans suggestion about them being outer
wing-feather generated and also noted the following.

The Paluma (near Townsville, Queensland) Victoria Riflebirds displayed
right in front of us at times (and also atop power poles at each other!).
The 'taffetta shuffling sound' I heard when the males flew off or arrived
was not at all evident in the 'wings over the head' display which these
birds are well known for.

I did hear a snapping sound produced by a displaying mature male riflebird,
produced either by the beak closing or possibly the wings tips touching
over the head.  At no time was there a shuffling sound under these
circumstances.

Could the sound be related to the metallic-like feathers of the male which
are absent on juvenile males and females?

Further ideas from people most welcome.

Martin O'Brien

Melbourne

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at