birding-aus

Trip to SW WA - Week 2 (Part 2of 2)

Subject: Trip to SW WA - Week 2 (Part 2of 2)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:28:16 +1100
                       SOUTH-WEST WESTERN AUSTRALIA

                            1-16 NOVEMBER 2003

                            TRIP REPORT (Cont)

On Friday night, we stayed at Payne's Find.  The accommodation there was
pretty ordinary but it was very close to the first of Frank's Grey
Honeyeater spots.  And, on cue, early next morning, we saw one of these
nondescript but enigmatic little birds, along with several birds new to our
list like Crimson Chat.  We also saw Little Woodswallow at the Granites and
Rufous Fieldwren (although this was not the western race montanellus) in a
salt-bush area.

For the next three nights, we stayed at Nallan Station, near Cue.  Around
its environs, we saw Western Bowerbird, Chiming Wedgebill, Slaty-backed
Thornbill, Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush and White-browed Treecreeper.
The bowerbird was Ro's 600th Australian bird.  Surprisingly, we could not
find any Bourke's Parrots.  We also spent some time east and south-east of
Cue at Austin Downs and Walga Rock and found Banded Whiteface, more Crimson
Chats, White-backed Swallow and Ground Cuckoo-shrike.  We spent a fair bit
of time west of Cue looking for Inland Dotterels, but were not lucky enough
to stumble over them.  The temperature at Nallan was very hot and we spent
most of the afternoons relaxing at the cottage (with the odd cold beer in
the cool of the evening).

On the 11th, we headed off to Geraldton, with a brief and unproductive stop
at Yalgoo.  It seemed pretty hot there.  We found out why when we got to
Geraldton, where it was 44(superscript: o)C.  Fortunately, the "Geraldton
Doctor" (named by Fred) came in soon after we arrived and the temperature
went down into the 20's.  The hot weather had one advantage as it
guaranteed that we would get to the Houtman Abrolhos - the constant strong
easterlies were briefly interrupted, which gave us terrrific sea conditions
for the 3 ½ hour trip over and back.  The reduction in wind explained why
it was so hot.

The Houtman Abrolhos Islands have a long history.  The most significant
event was the loss of Francisco Pelsaert's Batavia in 1629, the first of
several shipwrecks on these islands.  The bloody sequel of mutiny and
reprisal is well documented.  The islands also have a long fishing history.
However, it is their status as an excellent seabird breeding colony that
attracted us.  We visited three islands - Morley, Wooded and Leo.  We were
rewarded with sightings of Lesser Noddy, Little Shearwater, Roseate Tern,
Spotless Crake and Sooty and Bridled Terns.  All together, we saw 8 species
of tern on the day.

Kalbarri National Park is a good land-based place to visit.  On the
Thursday, we saw Rufous Fiedwren (the montanellus race), Square-tailed Kite
and Spotted Harrier among other birds, as well as three out-of-range
Singing Bushlarks south of Kalbarri.  The STK story was interesting as we
decided to visit the Ranger's Office just outside of the Kalbarri township
to enquire about the best place to find this species.  While we were in the
middle of questioning the ranger, Fred spotted a STK flying over the top of
the office, to the Ranger's amazement and our delight.

Friday found us on our way back to Perth.  We went through Moora to find
the northern race of the Western Corella (race butleri).  We again visited
Flynn Road for the Shrike-tit (unsuccessfully) and went onto the Fremantle
Hotel.

On our last full day, we went to Rottnest Island, looking for the
introduced specialities - Common Pheasant and Indian Peafowl.  We were
hoping to find Red-necked Phalarope (and did).  We also saw Rock Parrot
(again), Buff-banded Rail (breeding) and lots of Banded Stilts.

On the Sunday morning before flying out, we optimistically visited Flynn
Road again for one last chance at the Shrike-tit.  Our optimism was
misplaced and we left WA without seeing this bird.

Bird Summary

Overall, in our two weeks, we recorded 225 species, a total we thought
quite presentable.  There were many new birds seen - from a high of 33 for
Ro (to be expected for someone who had not been to WA before) to only 1 for
Fred.  The highlights were bird number 700 for Frank and number 600 for Ro.
Ross also had a small chance of getting to 700 as well, but in the end he
fell a handful short.

Other good things

One of the attractions of SW WA is the wild-flowers.  Frank and Jann,
particularly, were very interested in these and we saw many, many species.
More importantly, the WA wine was well sampled.  It was generally
excellent.