birding-aus

Common Starlings up here!

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Common Starlings up here!
From: "Marc & Vikki Gardner" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:53:36 +1000
Hi all again,

Forgot to mention that on our way to Lake Moondarra this morning, Bob F. and I saw a flock of about 20 Common Starlings fly from the Mt Isa (Queensland) Airport across the Barkley Highway. Bob noted that he has no knowledge of previous sightings this area and that the New Atlas (page 682) nearest records are at Karumba and Winton/Longreach area,  both about 500 kilometres away from Mt Isa.  Something funny must also be going on because I had a lone common starling at the Julia Creek Sewerage Treatment Pond last Sunday too (23/11/03).  People must think I live there because all my good sightings from Julia Creek are from this pond.

Although this may not interest some people from the cities where these buggers are abundant, it's certainly a notable, if somewhat indisposed sighting for North-west Queensland.  I know the Julia Creek sighting is the first for the Julia Creek region and it seems that the Mt Isa sighting today must also be a first....hopefully not trying to get across the border to the Territory and W.A.!

Cheers
Marc Gardner
Julia Creek