birding-aus

Colo River NSW

To: <>
Subject: Colo River NSW
From: "A.J.& L.Bloom" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:58:40 +1100
Setting off early this morning I knew it was going to be a good day when a
black bittern flew over Windsor Road at McGrath's Hill Sewage Works right in
front of me.  On to Colo River where one of the first birds seen in clear
sunlight was a black faced monarch.  Walking up the hill besides the river a
pair of lyre birds pottered along the path in front of us.  Two yellow
tailed blacks sitting quietly having a nap on a high perch.  At the bend
where the road swings left 2 pairs of gang gang cockatoos on either side of
the road and we watched as one of the females reversed carefully and
comically into a hollow in a tree.  Found a black faced cuckoo shrike
sitting on an impossibly small nest, take off and the mate take over.  A
male variegated wren flitting in the lantana.  Channel billed cuckoos
overhead being chased by a currawong and only one raptor for the day, a
collared sparrowhawk.
Surprisingly no brown pigeons or rock warblers.
Lorna Bloom
Ted Blackman
Sharon Gotleib

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at